Monday, April 13, 2009

Of one Kopi-peng and another

Seriously, I miss the taste of a good Kopi-peng (ice coffee). It has been a while, especially considering my bout of coughing for the past one month plus. Stayed away from any cold drinks at all to prevent aggravation, and now, after my singing activities for Easter, I am back to full swing!

Finally had my first taste of Kopi-peng last Easter sunday during lunch. Nice, aromatic senses-inflating thrill! Actually, kopi-peng has been a recent "habit". When I was young, I used to frequent my neighbour's coffee shop, for the Kopi-O-Peng (ice coffee without milk), and a nice bowl of Kon Lo (dry) Kwei Teow with extra tomato sauce, all for about RM2.00!!! They had char siu as toppings. Strangely, have never been a fan of Sarawak's famous Kon Lo Mee (dry noodles). I guess the novelty is in the texture of the noodles, and the secret sauce many keep as their family secret.

Now with the likes of Starbucks, Coffee Bean, Gloria Jeans and other coffee outlets, selling those premium cups of coffee, it is sometimes wonderful just to go back to the small coffee shops for that specially brewed cup of coffee! Cheaper too!

Of course, it would also go very well with some special toast bread with Kaya or Peanut Butter. Yummy! Anyone for a good cup of coffee? :)

3 comments:

SL said...

and roast pork :D

Elaine Gaye said...

Kaya sounds delicious. I'll have to check out Malaysian shops on the Mill Road in Cambridge. My brother has all the coffee loving genes in my family. My mum still loves dunking her toast in coffee. I'm glad your one month plus coughing bout is over and that you're back in full sing :D

Alex said...

Hi SL, Yeah, and ROAST PORK! Yum!

Hey Elaine, it's nice. But there ae different types, and flavours. But generally nice. Dunking toast, or biscuits, and other food stuff in hot coffee is simply the best! :P I do that too! :)