Friday, October 03, 2008

Of beings around us and beyond

"Angels", what a word. Used in many different context, be it spiritual beings attendant upon God, or even a kind, charming, and lovable person. Sometimes those who do good deeds upon us are also seen as "angels in disguise". This stain-glass picture depicts the angel at the empty tomb.

As a young kid, I have always been fascinated with angels. Looking at the glorious pictures or graphics in books (before the technological furtherance we see today - thus began the love affair with comic books), reading about them in certain passages of the bible (well, those few passages which I have ever read - you know, many Catholics don't read the bible enough, and I am generalising here, but yours truly is certainly one of them), and what more could I say when there's even an angel in the comic book X-men, who later become archangel! :P

In the general and biblical context, more info can be found here and here. When we read about the heavenly hosts, the seraphims and the cherubims, and even the four known archangels; Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Uriel (each with their own roles), it is fascinating to consider the constant struggle between good and evil.

Michael - Field commander for the army of God.
Gabriel - Messenger of God.
Raphael - Archangel who performs all manner of healing.
Uriel - Angel of Repentance, who "stands at the Gate of Eden with a fiery sword".

Though sometimes, if one is not careful, the four can be unintentionally mixed up with Raphael, Michelangelo, Leonardo, and Donatello! That shows the power of the telly!!!

And once a fantasy show touches upon angels, I am generally hooked! Caught the first two episodes of the latest Supernatural series and was initially apprehensive about watching (usually, I avoid these horror flicks like a plague - quivering as my imagination would go wild anytime of the day, and NIGHT!!! - and would catch glimpses of fleeting shadow at the corner of my eye!!!), but this caught my attention with the introduction of Castielle, supposedly a soldier or warrior angel. Think for this one, I will dispense with my usual apprehension and follow the series (for once!).

I have read many stories online about angels being with us, be it guardian angels or angels in human form, alleviating the pain and suffering of the various troubled souls. And many questions have been posed as to whether you see "an angel" in the eyes of those around you. Myself, I personally believe in guardian angels, and occassionally pray for protection and guidance when I am frightened or lost in more ways than one. A prayer learnt even as a young kid, remembered to this very day to provide me comfort. And once a while, a beautiful song is written and wonderfully sung, essentially encapsulating the longing most feel in seeking comfort:

No comments: